Chesapeake 16 Skin On Frame

I started out making a card board version to be able to loft the needed frames necessary for the build...

29 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 16 Skin On Frame

Very Cool!

And then you can 'glass the cardboard and have 2 boats ;-)

How I laid out the forms..First I rest a straight edge across the top of the side panels and measure up from the center of the bottom for it's location.. Then the sides.. Then the widths...

The frames are nearly complete. In order to get an idea of the rocker in the hull I positioned the boat on my strong back and shimmed up each end until the center of the hull was the only part touching the strong back and measured the distance of the gap at each point where the frame brackets will be located.

The stem pcs. and stringers cut to fit...

About ready to lash things together....

Cool, I watch with much interest. Not to build one like this, but to see how this all comes together! Keep the Pictures coming!

David

Hello awoodman

I'm the owner and maintainer of a web-site dealing with "non fuel travel" of any kind. I'm on the lookout for articles for this web-site all the time.

As I like your builds and your photos as well, I'd like to publish them in the area "Instructions" or "Projects" in english and in german (will translate your text).

The site can be found here http://www.oeko-travel.org/en/home_made/00_index.php

In case of interest please write me a short e-mail to [email protected]

Thank you, and keep going on with your very interesting work!

Started lashing the frames.....

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/scrawford_photos/Chesapeake%2016%20SOF%20Kayak/

What canoe is in the background? It looks like there are scouts about, is this a scout project?

The wife and I belong to an organization ,Indian Council Of Manny Nations, And they took over this event the Scouts drooped a few yrs. ago...SNAWS (Sharing Native America Ways)....Any way the canoe I built to raffle off all summer long up to our 50th annual summer pow wow.....I was demonstraiting the lashing part of building a kayak...

The plans for the canoe are in a book found here....

http://www.kudzucraft.com/index.php

Ready for skin...

Got the skin on and ready to attach the coaming ring...

More defining hull lines appear when the skin it tight...The type of coaming changes the look of the deck....

What fabric did you end up using? Some use ballistic nylon, others will use different material. Is this your 1st sewing job? How did it go (I worry about trying it).

Yea this was my first and it wasen't to bad...just have to jump in and do it. I used 8oz pollyester...   

The first phase of the paint job..had some yellow rustoleum tinted to a burnt orange...

I had some left over 14'' scotch pinstripe tape but not enough..The only place that has it is an automotive paint store...so a trip to town tomorow...
Step 3 striping over the orange, preparing to airbrush over the orange with black......

Paint .....

That looks fantastic!  Please keep us posted- I'm very curious to hear how it handles.

Hickory

Also let us know how much it weighs!

Thanks,

Mark

Working on the cockpit.....Cheap seat and leather backband...

The kayak weighs 28lbs.....

Looks really, really good, so far. Can't wait to see what it'll look like once you finish getting rid of that seam bump.

Have fun,

Laszlo

I assume Laszlo is kidding. The seam bump tells the story! Is the boat going to make it to Oakume 2012?

Lew

I don't think it is in the budget to make the drive from KC. Mo. sure would be nice to see a lot of wood boats though...

I built this fore one reason to show how easy it it to convert from one type of construction to another.....think how easy it would be to convert a stripper to a SOF being forms are provided for every 12'' or so....Doing the steamed ribs over the forms and lashing stringers to the ribs... Another project mabe down the road....

Oh by the way this kayak can be built for about $200. in wood and cloth...just get the book and a couple 4x8 sheets of cardboard and have at it....

Actually, I wasn't kidding. I thought there would be something like the seam tapes on fabric-covered aircraft that smooth out the airflow over the stitches. I suppose that doesn't really matter at kayak speeds.

Guess I need to think of it like the stitch holes in S&G, rivet heads in steel, etc.

Fun project & nice boat. Too bad it won't be at Okoumefest. Bet it'd get an award.

Laszlo

Thanks guys....

I redid the backband adjusting strap location and mounted it to the coaming..gave it more lift...itching to try this skinny (true kayak) as compared to the rest of my builds.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/scrawford_photos/

Oh man I'm hooked now...this28 lb boat is ausome...tracks really good and is super stable...even fished out of it....it was a breeze to carry with one hand up and down the steep bank to put it on the lake....I've built 4 cedar strip boats, 4 stitch and glue boats...These SOF are the most fun to build and paddle...I'm hooked... 

As they say "it got slimed" well went back to that clear lake this morning and the bass were on it...this is the one 19'' long.... I need to mark off a scale on this boat I guess....
And then later I hooked into a carp that took me for a ride foe about 20 min. I tighnend up the drag on the 4lb test to try to get a hand on him, with my hand tired and all and he broke the line....

I am showing the water mark to see if you guys think the bow is riding to high....I put a sting line on it but it doesn't take into account the leaning side to side as evident by the water scum-algae on the skin of the boAT...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.