Scrap white or black varnish

I'd like to add a pin-stripe on the edge of my wood duck, but do not want to purchase a fuil can of varnish.  Does anyone in the RI area have a scrap can?

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/marine-paint-varnish/interlux-brightsides-one-part-polyurethane-marine-paint.html

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Scrap white or black varnish

What about actually using pin striping for it?   I am doing a Kaholo and have seen a few write in about using automotive pin striping around some of their detail work to give it a sharp edge.   I haven't done it yet but plan to.

Cna't remember but I think the pinstriping goes on top of the varnish, right?

Michael

That is what I have been reading as well.   I think the pin stripe goes on last?    Can anyone comment that has used automotive type of pinstriping for detail work?

Automotive pinstriping tape will stick well to varnish but you run the risk of dinging it later. If you're careful about your first varnish sanding you can put it under the varnish and then build up several caots over it and be a little more protected from dings. SEEYA Jack

So you would recommend putting it on after the first coat of varnish then?   What about putting it on over the sanded / smooth epoxy coat under all of the varnish coats?    Will it not stick to a surface like that?

Thanks for the advice.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.