shearwater layers of glass, epoxy application?

I am building my 3rd kayak from clc, first 2 being wood ducks, this one is the shearwater sport.  The instructions call for 3 layers of glass on the outside of the hull.  From what I read & see in the pictures, epoxy is placed on all 3 layers at once ?  Based on my experience to date this sounds challenging.  My ducks had a single layer.  I'm looking for opinions / experieince with putting the 3 layers on, "one at a time" i.e. separate epoxy application with each layer of glass.  Thanks

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: shearwater layers of glass, epoxy application?

I had the same thoughts reading the Shearwater sport manual, after having done a   Wood Duckling. I'm planning to do it one at a time, but probably before the previous layers set.

I'd like to hear from someone who has done this too.

I worried about this too. In the end I decided that CLC probably has good reasons for recommending doing all 3 layers at once. I did it that way for the 2 Shearwaters I built and it worked out fine. There are some good prior discussions on the forum if you can find them.

Cheers,

Pat

I was also skeptical at first, but I did all 3 layers at once on my Shearwater build and it worked fine.  Just take your time to make sure they all get saturated and put the layers on in the recommended order if the plans call for smaller ("football shaped") layers on top.  I think it's actually easier with all 3 at once, and probably saves epoxy/weight.  Plus much faster. 

Kathy

We had no trouble with doing 3 layers at once on our Shearwaters, as first time boat builders.

Kathy is right on the mark. Whenever you saturate glass, the most importatnt part is that it IS saturated completely, without bubbles. If you repeat the process 2-3 times, you will risk incomplete saturation or bubbles, 2-3 times.  The second & third applications will be atop a "weave" surface, probably making it MORE difficult to saturate, and using more exoxy to do so. Its easier than it sounds. Another tip: make sure, once the 'glass is saturated, that you strike off the excess, leaving a clearly visible weave surface, without shiny areas. I left too much epoxy on my hull, and caused difficult-to remove ripples.

Thanks ALL for the input.  Sounds like maybe i'm too paranoid, I'll do as the instructions say, epoxy all the layers at once. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.