Kaholo glassing question

My board is coming along nicely and I'll be glassing soon. My question is how to avoid or handle a seam when I fiberglass the top. As I understand it, the cloth drapes over the sides and I epoxy it on top and down the sides as well, but won't there be a seam visible all around the board? Does this just need to be sanded out, painted over, or is there some other trick I'm missing?

Thanks for all of the help so far. This is my first build, and I'm really proud of how it's turning out. 

Chris

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo glassing question

Chris,

If you're careful and follow the proper procedure, the seam will be invisible. In the picture below, the deck cloth overlaps the side by 2 inches. There's a seam running right through the duck's head (click on the image for a larger view)

The general approach is to get a clean edge, then carefully sand it and fair it smooth & invisible. Here's a link to a pictorial description of how I did it on my WD12. The same process should work fine for a Kaholo.

Have fun,

Laszlo

This is just what I needed! Thanks. 

There is no need for a large lap on your kaholo. You can do the lap on the radiuse of the beveled edje between the deck and the sides.http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=12860.45    Glass the bottom first tapeing on the up side of the radius

. When the epoxy is set you can turn up the tape and cut from the bottom of the tape with a utillity knife it will cut at an angle so no sanding needed. To glass the top tape on the down side of the rail radius. When the resin is set turn up the tape and cut with utillity knife. Because you are cutting at an angle there is no sanding needed.  The lap dosen't need to be more than 3/8 inch. Any more than that and you are just adding un needed weight to the Kaholo. Because I did a koa wood deck  on my board I did not want a big radius . I only have about 1/4 inch. I had to tape down the glass cloth to get it tight on the radius.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.