Connecting sheer sanels to bilge panels on MC-16.5

First time builder. I am "stuck" at the point where I am beginning to attach the sheer panels to the bilge panels. This is much more challenging than assembling the bilge panels. As you are probably aware, the sheer panels don't bend easily and don't stand up on their own when stitching them to the bilge panels. I am considering driling holes in the sheer panels through the sheer strakes to hold them together at both ends and then seperate them in the middle with a spacer as wide as the beam. After that, I expect to be able to set the sheer panels on top of the bilge panels and begin stitching. Is this the common practice or is there another way to do this?

Thanks

Chris

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Connecting sheer sanels to bilge panels on MC-16.5

i made 1 loose stich at the bow and1 at the stern then did 1 in the middle that kinda kept it where i could start stiching ps MAKE SURE THAT BOTTOM PANEL IS THE RIGHT WAY AROUND IT IS NOT SYMETRICAL! and theres no mention of that in the manual it looks right untill you try to put the bulkheads in

Thanks for the reply. Possibly I was not clear. I succesfully attached the bilge panels to the bottom. Agree, bow / stern / port / starboard are not obvious. Now I need to stitch the sheer panels to the bilge panels, that is a more difficult job, especially when working alone. I intend to loosley stitch the port and starboard panels together through the sheer strakes and then begin attatching them to the bilge panels. I was looking for any feedbak / confirmation that this was a normal approach. The manual is silent on this other than to say begin stitching them together. No mention that this step that might be a challenge. That is what concerns me, am I missing something very obvious?

Chris,

Wiring the sides to the bilge is a faily easy process, I do agree, working alone poses it's own challenges, but nothing that can't be overcome.

Loosely wire the bow and stern of the side panels together, it will make them easier to handle. Place a spreader stick somewhere near the middle to hold the panels open. You can then set the side panels on top of the assembled bottom and bilge panels. I would put a couple of wires near the mddle of the boat, to loosely hold one side together. Move to the other side and do the same thing. You can then work on wiring the two assemblies together, confident that they will not move on you while working.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us at the shop. You can also email me after hours. The forum is a great resource, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Don't forget we are here to help as well.

Thanks Joey, that was exactly what I started to do. Nice to see I was on the right track. I'm not in a hurry so I don't mind "measuring" 4-5 times before cutting. Regards Chris

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.