newbee question

hi, i'm wondering what type of wood i can use to make a stripper kayack? does it have to be cedar or can i use ash, basswood, cherry or any types of hardwood. i've never made a stripper so i have some stupid questions.  thanks for any help.   

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: newbee question

Frosty,

Ceder is the wood of choice because it is light, strong and has good rot resistance.  Rot resistance and strength are not much of an issue in a composit boat so it comes down to weight.  I'm building a wood duck which doesn't use a whole lot of wood since only the deck is stripped and it has a huge cockpit.  It is a recreational kayak so weight isn't as much of an issue as it would be if it was a high speed hull.  For me, it was a small trade off to sacrafice a little weight for a mahogany deck.

So, I guess you have to decide how important weight is to you.  You can do a little research on wood weights and easily figure out how much more your boat will weigh if you choose a different wood.  Weight vs looks is really what it all comes down to.

Frosty,

Woodys3b is right.  I would like to add that cedar is very easy to work with. When you need to cut, shape, bend, twist or sand, cedar is very easy. Any wood will work if you do not mind the extra work.

I have used ash, purple heart, bass wood, and lace wood on my deck patterns but the rest of the kayak is all cedar.

You should get Nick Schade's book ( The Strip Built Sea Kayak ) .  It will help you with any question that you may have about strip building.

Good luck and have fun.

Lou

Ok, thanks for the help guys.  My shop teacher in high school (a few years ago) made the stripper canoes, but no longer around.

Sorry I got cut off with the message, not real sure here in NY where I can find cedar to make the strips. Anyone have any ideas?  That is why I was thinking hardwoods, I agree they don't flex very well. What is the dimensions of the strips I should use?

I get my cedar from CLC because it is far better then the cedar I can get here in Michigan.

Or you can find cedar near you at:   www.woodfinder.com

As for the dimensions of your strips,  You can make them to whatever works best for you with the wood that you have.  Nick's book gives you all the pro's and con's of dimensions.

You can get Nick's book from CLC.

Lou

ok thanks Lou. looks like i better get te book ordered.  have a merry christmas and happy new year. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.