PocketShip

C'mon John.  Don't leave us hanging! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSCA8S62eno

Details!!!

Please?!?!?!?!

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: PocketShip

Mr Harris is becoming a master of suspense! That PocketShip looks like a great project, and I love the name.  Mmmm, do you think plans will be available?

You lucky Okoume Fest attendees might get the chance to see PocketShip in person.  I'm counting on you to report back with plenty of photos!

Right, here's a quick overview.  Next week I hope to get a proper web page up for PocketShip.  Yes, this one will be available as a plans-only boat from the start.  Of course the first one was built from a kit and all of the parts fit well, so if anyone wants a kit they'll be available.

This is the sketch I made once the drawings were settled down.  It helped to have this sort of thing floating around to get Geoff Kerr excited about building the first one. Mostly freehand.

After much tweaking and consideration, this is the final sailplan.  It was always going to be a gaffer---Gaff rigs are all about horsepower, like a V-8 truck engine.  And it was important that the mainmast is only 16 feet long, to make it easy to build from local materials.  PocketShip will eat West Wight Potters for lunch on all points.

Mmmm...gaffers.

Here's the final plan & elevation, as built.  Almost all stitch-and-glue;  the only framing is the stuff that's there to support the deck.

This was about 60 hours of work.

The boat is built upon a keel-centerboard unit, which is built over on the bench.  There's 120 pounds of lead tire weights in the empty sections of the keel.

Keel-centerboard

Pouring Lead

Once the keel was set up, it was propped up by two particle board molds, and the rest of the hull was assembled, literally, in less than a day.  Pretty neat to watch.

Quick Assembly

Here's another photo, minutes after the panels and bulkheads were stitched together.  The "floor timbers" were made up as sub-assemblies.  Absolutely everything was epoxy-coated and sanded smooth before assembly began, to minimize the amount of interior sanding to be done.  That odd-looking bulkhead will be cut out later to make room for the berths.

Early assembly

Before the deck and cockpit were installed, Geoff finish-painted the interior and fastened down the floorboards.  A lot easier to work in the interior with the lid off!  Sharp-eyed ShopCam followers saw this image appear online a few months ago.

Floorboards Installed

Here's where we stand today, looking rakish with a test-fit on the bowsprit and tabernacle.  Spars are done, just need to finish the external fiberglass, sand forever, paint, and cut the portholes in the sides.  (No portholes make it look kinda high-sided.)

Rakish

There'll be more---lots more---on the website here as I get time. 

Don't miss the video about PocketShip

The plan is to have PocketShip sailing at OkoumeFest, if everything goes as planned...

Fantastic!  Can you give us hints on specs yet? Cabin dimensions, displacement, etc.  Wondering if it could be accomodated by the 600 lb capacity of a Harborfreight trailer...  Is the foredeck well self draining?  You mention bulkhead cutouts- so there will be under-cockpit berth space, yes?  Any design accomodation for a small outboard bracket on the transom?

A very spiffy design!  Can't wait to learn more!

>>>>>>Can you give us hints on specs yet? Cabin dimensions, displacement, etc.  >>>>>>>>

Dimensions are 14'10" LOD, 6'2" beam, 16" draft (board up), sail area 148sqft.  Hhull weighs 800lbs w/o crew including 120lbs ballast in the keel.

>>>>>Wondering if it could be accomodated by the 600 lb capacity of a Harborfreight trailer...  >>>>>>>>>

I got a Trailex trailer for it.  Certainly an easy boat to trailer.  Any small sailboat trailer should work, though it'll need a little more capacity than 600lbs.

>>>>Is the foredeck well self draining? 

Absolutely, big scuppers there.  The well will contain the muddy anchor,  anchor rode, etc., where it won't drip all over you or your gear.

>>>>You mention bulkhead cutouts- so there will be under-cockpit berth space, yes?  >>>>>

The "berth flat" measures 8'6" by 4'7", very roomy by pocket cruiser standards.  A basketball player could stretch out there.  The watertight cuddy space measures 10'0" x 6'0", 60 square feet.    Since the centerboard is mostly contained in the keel and under the bridge deck, the cuddy isn't cut in two the way it is in a lot of pocket cruisers.

Sprawling Room

>>>>>>>>Any design accomodation for a small outboard bracket on the transom?>>>>>>

<BIG SIGH>  Always with the outboards, always with the outboards...

The cockpit geometry was set up with great care to allow rowing---see the broad bridge deck where the oarsman sits, facing aft.  But no sailboat seems complete anymore without the din, rattle, stench, expense, and pollution of an engine, so yes, there's room to hang an aftermarket outboard bracket on the transom. 

A shame to sully the varnished transom with a stinky outboard.

Instead of an outboard or rowing, how about sculling?

Laszlo

Sculling? Rowing? Meh.

Pedals FTW!!

Pedal Drive

I think I am in love again!

Pocketship vs. Potter 15 vs. Montgomery 15

John: It looks like you might have your competition beat! The monty's keel is a little bit heavier, but other then that, I think you might have a great ship.  I look foward to the website and hearing more information about the pocketship. I will be attending the mystic seaport boatshow this summer. Are you planning on bringing the pocketship? If not, I will make plans to come to the showroom. I live in Newport Beach, CA so I don't get on the East Coast much. I had made my mind set on buying the passagemaker, but maybe I will just wait a little while to see when the kit for the pocketship goes into production. It looks like there is even enough room below for a porta-potti and to place some electronics.

Any infromation you have on the pocketship would be grealtly appreciated. Great work!

Lee

Hi John when will the kits be avalible ? this is my next boat I can;t wait Jim

John:

Congatulations on the new pocket cruiser!

Love the lines. She's one of those designs that just seems to look right at first glance....  

I've always been a sucker for gaff rigs - (already sketched a main tops'l on a jackyard for the lightest winds).

See you in Mystic again this summer, hope PocketShip can make it too.

Best regards,

Robert

(Daniel's Dad) 

Congratulations for this new project, John. Hope will be soon available as plans and kit.

A question about mast step. Is the tabernacle just lying over deck, yes? Mast is not trespassing deck until centreboard, right? This is surely adding room for berths but will be enough strong under sail?

A second question: is 14'10" LOD comprehensive of bow mast lenght?

thanks and good luck

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.