paiting thin trim lines on wood duck

I'm building a wood duck 14' and want to paint thin black trim lines around the perimeter of the deck (just like the picture CLC use's on the listing for the compass rose)..when would I actually paint that line on the deck?

After what process? 

I'm assuming after glassing and filling the deck, but before varnish?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: paiting thin trim lines on wood duck

Consider using marine vinyl tape, which is available in several widths and colores at any marine supply store. I used 1/4" black tape to hide the line between the varnished deck and painted hull on my Merganser. I applied it after all other finishes were done. At first I thought it wouldn't hold up because it didn't seem to stick too well. After two years of hard use it still looks good, though. -Wes

Many Pygmy boat builders in my area use black electrical tape on top after all finish work done, and report that it holds up for several years too (by then you need to re-varnish anyway).  Probably simpler than painting as Wes mentioned. 

I would expect that your local auto parts store has pin striping tape.  It will take an epoxy cover well though I have never affixed it to wood before.

For the compass that I made, I used thin veneer wood from a fine wood store.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.