Plans for Paddles

Plans for paddles. Gidday fellow forum users. I was wondering if one or more of you could help. I am interested in building my own paddle for my Chesapeake 17 (I have a nice fibreglass one at the moment). I do not want the broom-stick with two panels of 6mm ply on the ends. A properly shaped, decent, efficient paddle. I am sure there is some plans in old wooden boat magazine editions which I can access at a local TAFE library. Does anyone know what editions these plans are in? Does anyone know of where I can buy plans for a paddle of this type? Or, is there some plans on the internet? Could someone send me some plans? I am quite open about the source. Hope you can help. David. (Brisbane, Australia.)

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Plans for Paddles

David, i've been interested in the same project and there are several sites on the internet.  I understand that there might be some difficulty in hooking up from Oz but see if any of these help:

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/products/accessories/kayak_paddle_plans

http://www.paddlinglight.com/articles/building-a-kayak-paddle-a-la-volkskayak/

Also google Building a Greenland Paddle.  I have made three and use them almost exclusively.  The hardest part is finding good lumber.  If knots are a problem you can rip the 2x4 in half, turn one piece end for end and glue them back to gether.  Western Red Cedar is great.  Alaska Cedar is also great, but a little heavier.

Happy paddle building.

Paul

Hi David

I'm in Bendigo Victoria, I have just finished a Wood Duck 12 and I made 2 Greenland paddles, one for myself and one for the my partner, she is only 5ft and I,m 6ft so I made each to our size, very easy and looks great and works well..Worth the effort, found all the info on the net. 

Chesapeake 17 is my next project..

Garry

Bendigo Australia 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.