Second rower on Skerry

About to add a second rowing station on our Skerry. I realize when two are in the boat, one should row seated in the bow. But, just wondering if two rowers can simultaneously row the Skerry? Or will stern be lifted too high out of the water? Has anyone tried? Thx.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Second rower on Skerry

yes,    well our  skerry  has  2  row  stations. heaviest person  sits  on middle  transom seat rowing  with  9  ft  oars . the   bow  of  boat  cuts  thru  water  first,  he  is  backwards  to  direction  of  travel . our  2nd  row  station  has  oarlocks  in  front  of  the  middle  transom  so  2nd  person (me) 140#   sits  on  bow also   facing   backwards . since  skerry  is  double  ended you  can  also  'push row '  the skerry ,  facing  forward  from  center  seat toward the  bow    and  using  forward set of   oarlocks. 

fair  winds

carey m  

skerry #1,   'the  eaglet',   port  of erie  PA 

RE: Second rower on Skerry

I don't understand your meaning.  The "transom" is the flat aft part of a boat where an outboard may be hung.  How can one sit on the rearmost seat of the Skerry and row facing backward?  Does he sit with his legs crossed?  Why not have that person sit on the middle seat and the second rower sitting on the bow seat, both facing aft.  It would seem your man sitting on the seat at the stern, or transom as you put it, with his legs curled under himself would be very uncomfortable.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.