Flush Deck Fittings

I have seen and admired several examples of flush deck fittings but have no idea of how to construct. Would anyone care to share the knowledge of building and installing these. I would love to incorporate these into my boat build if possible.

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Flush Deck Fittings

Eric Schade, designer of the CLC Shearwater Kayaks, sells them. He also sells plans and instructions for making them yourself. Check them out at: http://www.shearwater-boats.com/Flushdeckfittings.htm

I bought mine from Eric. At 7 bucks per it was cheaper than setting up to make them (for me anyway)

uhmm.. Dan..

I count about 14 fittings on the boat you had at Okoumefest. I'm missing how that could be cheaper. Isn't it all labor?

I ended up making some - here's how I did it:

http://logicalphilosopher.blogspot.com/2011/03/kayak-build-part-4.html

The post also links to the other sites that I found while looking on how to construct them.

$7 doesn't sound like much but by the time you realize you need about 8, then add shipping it is cheaper to do it on your own and even buy some of the larger drill bits.

I don't have a lathe or a drill press, hence my decision

Dan

...or maybe I just got lazy. I looked at that Orca link. I do have a fairly decent hole saw kit and that looks pretty easy. Maybe I'll give it a try next time.

I think this will be a winter engineering project. I can't believe this can't be done without a lathe. I did invest in a drill press a few years ago, I've never regretted it.

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

I did it with a drill press and a disc sander.... a lathe would have made it easier for sure to cup out the insides instead of the flat the fotsner bit left, but not necessary. 

It was a good excuse to buy a few more larger fostner bits to drill the holes in the kayak!

I spoke with Eric Schade about the use of Forstner bits for drilling the holes in the deck. He did not recommend it at all. He said use a standard hole saw with pilot bit. The Forstner bits are mostly for drill press work and will wander badly (and ruin your deck) when used with a hand power drill. I did a test run and he is indeed right. 

One thing I like about his fittings is that they are stepped and there is no need to fillet the back side.

Dan 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.