Hull Gap WD10H

I'm finally getting around to stitching up the bottom hull sections on my WD10H.  When I pinched the hull and stern to stitch them up a small (~1/8") gap popped up directly underneath the temporary fore and aft forms.  I have cut the wires and tried to muscle it into place, but it WILL NOT hold.  I've cut or broken at least 40 wires and added several additional holes, but the forms simply won't allow the bottom to come together.  At the center of the bottom longitudinally i've got a perfect fit with no gap at all, but wondering what my options are here.  I'm wondering if I just button it up if it'll matter all that much after the fillets and glass (And an extra strip of carbon down the center for looks).  Also, having cut all those stitches and redone i'm worried about running out of copper wiring.  Anyone bought an aftermarket spool?  Where and what dimensions? Thanks for the help all.

Scott Carlson

Shoot First,

Shoot straight,

Protect the Innocent,

Punish the Deserving.

God be With Us!

3/363d Ord Bn EOD, US Army

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Hull Gap WD10H

Scott,
As long as you will be covering the gap with graphite you can just leave it. It will fill with thickened epoxy when you fillet the seam. Put some plastic packaging tape on the outside to keep it from leaking through. Be sure to remove the tape before you apply the fiberglass, though.
You can buy 25 foot rolls of 18 gauge copper wire at any hardware store for a about three dollars.
-Wes

RE: Hull Gap WD10H

Scott,  Wes is right, tolerate the gap and fill it as described.  The important issue is that the keel line have a 'fair' curve fore and aft (rocker) and be straight down the center line with respect to the beam.

Tom (TRF) 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.