My CH17LT is finally complete

Three months and about 70 hours of labor later, I have a craft worth launching. the planned launch is in about three weeks on the fourth of july weekend. Hopefully the pictures will post from photobucket.

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: My CH17LT is finally complete

The hatches are held down by an under-deck bungee system modeled after the invisible hatch system posted here. I had the stuff so I just carved out the parts and bought some hooks. I just didnt like the nylon straps and buckles.

Great looking kayak !!!  Very Very Nice.

I paddled a CH17LT last summer and fell in love with it. I know that you will have a blast in yours.

Have fun.

Lou

Looks sweet!  I like the pattern of the black and bright finish on the deck and the toggles are a distinctive detail.

Tom (TRF) 

Nice looking! Do the toggles represent something specific? Did you free hand draw/paint the octapus?

Beautiful boat!

I'm starting a Shearwater and am reviewing different paint/deck schemes.

Yours is the most impressive I've seen to date.

What info can you pass along regarding the way you've installed the hatches?

The hatches are held down by making a kit myself similar to the setup seen here.

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/fitting_out/hatches_no_toggles.html

The only difference is that I only used one mounting block on the underside of the hatch running the width of the hatch and sanded to match the hatch's camber. you have more than enough wood left from your shear clamps to manufacture your own components, just cut the shear scrap to size and sand into shape. I used some bungie that came with the kit and bought some brass hooks from home depot. Total cost - $1.45. 

As far as the carvings and painting having significance, the rear toggle is an Anemoi, a roman wind figure symbolizing keeping the wind at my back. The front octopus toggle and the hatch are not symbolic, but I have always felt a connection with the animal. I even have one tattoed onto my upper arm incorporated into my tat sleeve. The octo on the hatch is hand-painted, based on a design I saw on someones laptop cover. I adapted the design, simplified it, and then painted it onto the cover and sandwiched it under more varnish.

Beautiful Ryan!  Great job.  Yes, that is a great color scheme.  

Thanks, I appreciate the comments, It took me a little longer than I wanted but I think it came out nice. The black and natural scheme just seemed to pop to me. I saw a black and natural boat in the clc catalogue and liked the color but not the pattern so i sat down with a notebook and pencil and worked out a scheme I liked. Im glad you guys enjoy it too.

I might get to push my timeline for launch up a bit and get it into the water this weekend if conditions are right. ill post pics as soon as I do.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.