Shearwater bow and stern reinforcement strip

I have some left over fiber glass tape and was wondering if I could use this to make up the bow and stern reinforcement strips instead of cutting strips from scraps of fiber glass cloth?

Thanks,

trimtab 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater bow and stern reinforcement strip

Fiberglass tape usually has binding on the edges that would have to be ground off. It also is usually woven longitudinally. You would be better off cutting scraps of cloth on the bias, as the diagonal strands would be stronger and easier to feather into the hull. I would also recommend you add a strip of dynel cloth saturated with graphite powder along the bow and stern to protect your hull from damage while launching and landing. CLC sells a kit for this that works remarkably well. -Wes

Thanks for this tip Wes, I will cut some strips on the bias.  I found the dynel kit on this site.

So far, I have the first and second layer of fiber glass cut to size.  I found that making a paper pattern for the second layer was very helpful for getting the right shape.  My plan is to apply epoxy to both layers and then add the bias end strips.  I've tried my best to clip off the excess strands but it's hard to get them all.  Is there a better way to cut fiber glass?  I 'v read about rotary cutters and  pinking shears.  Thanks again for any further advise.

best,

trim tab 

Newfound Woodworks sells a rotary cloth cutter that looks like a pizza cutter and works very well on fiberglass cloth. There's a photo of one on my website at http://twofootartist.com/merganser-construction-notes/  Don't fuss too much about the extra strands. They sand off easily and disappear in the final finish. You can minimize them by cutting as many edges as possible on the bias. -Wes

You can also get a rotary cutter at any fabric, quilting, or well-stocked craft store (like Michaels's) if you don't want to wait for mail order

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.