Painting disaster?

I had my Jimmy Skiff out on the bay for a float-out last week.  Yesterday, I added a couple pieces of stainless to the skeg, and examined the hull in detail.  Underside looked reasonable: scratches in the paint where I'd grounded on the rocky/oyster-y bottom, and parts of the skeg (now protected with stainless strips) worn to the epoxy.  But the inside was also missing paint.

The hull is finished with: epoxy, Interlux primer, Baer porch paint on the outside; epoxy, scuffed up, and covered directly with porch paint on the inside.  I trekked in sand while launching, and the palces in the inside that were missing paint were the ones where my feet had around over this.  Epoxy underneath looked sound, and I wasn't able to dislodge any great flakes of paint with my fingernail, but little flecks that were still there between the scratches did come off.

What should I do?  Best case, I can put in some wooden floors and the finish will be good enough (and as a bonus, I don't have to sit in bilge water).  Worst case, I used the wrong paint, and it all needs to be redone.  What do you think?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Painting disaster?

Sounds like you've just demonstrated why primer is  a good thing.

If it was my boat, I'd dig out the sander, remove the old paint and redo the finish, this time with primer included.

For that matter, you might want to consider a better brand of paint for the inside. I've been seeing and using the CLC Jimmy Skiff demo boat for nearly 10 years now and have never seen what you describe, in spite of the fact that hundreds or thousands of folks have been in that boat during all those years of demos. 

Good luck,

Laszlo

Thank you for the feedback.  When I was building this thing, I thought that the tradeoffs were different: I thought that the high-build primer would make the finish _less_ durable, since the paint would be backed by something thick and soft, and that porch paint would make the finish scuff-resistant at the cost of shininess.

Is it a viable plan to sand off the inside (non-primed) paint; maybe put on some more epoxy, since the sanding will likely bite into the existing coat; prime with the Interlux white stuff; and re-porch paint?  Or is the shiny paint actually more durable, and would I, ideally, redo the paint on the entire boat?

I've heard that some people swear by porch paint for scuff resistance. But I've never trusted the stuff for a boat. Maybe that's because I don't trust it for porches either, and maybe that's because I used it on a porch once and it showed significant wear within 18 months. I think there's a lot of hyperbole in claims for various kinds of house paint, but as far as I know, even the folks who manufacture it have never claimed it's good on boats.

Jim

The boat primers I know about start with a soft cure, for easy sanding, then over the course of a few weeks cure very hard. Their final thickness is also relatively thin, even for the high-build primers. Most of the primer usually gets sanded right back off again. They form a very thin and durable base with enhanced bonding properties.

Going with the primer+porchpaint for your repair is perfectly viable, especially since that's holding up well on the outside. Eventually, the outside will get dinged up as you have fun with the boat and you'll have to repaint it anyway. You can always switch to a marine paint system then. In the meantime, enjoy the boat.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.