WD 10 Cockpit

When I was taping and glassing all the seams in my hull I also went ahead and coated the entire inside of the hull with the clear epoxy- as per the directions. However I have not yet glassed in the cloth that needs to go inside the cockpit. I assume I can still do this over the dried coat of epoxy? Should I sand the area first?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD 10 Cockpit

Yes!  If it has been more than about 24 hours you will need to give it a light sand first.

I always do a light sand between coats regardless of the time - it helps keep the little sharp bits knocked down.

RE: WD 10 Cockpit

I actually always coat bare wood with a coat of epoxy and let it cure then lightly scuff sand it before applying fiberglass.  This does two things. 

1) it lets you see any imperfections that will show through the final finish and address them before the fiberglass goes on. 

2) When fiberglassing bare wood can soak up the epoxy inconsistently and a spot you thought had enough epoxy could soak in and dry up enough during cure to leave an ugly area where the fiberglass weave shows through as cloudy white.  By encapsulating the bare wood with a plain coat of epoxy rolled on then sanded smooth after curing the epoxy used when you actually are fiberglassing will cover and soak in very consistently.  This doesnt seem to be much of a problem on kayaks this size but it sure makes the actual fiberglassing faster/easier/consistent when doing a large boat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.