Is This Addictive?

I'm getting ready to begin varnishing my Shearwater. I feel like building another kayak already, probably in order to use the experiece I've gained to avoid mistakes. Is this typical?

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Is This Addictive?

Yes

Yes.

And then you'll want a bigger challenge and you'll make more mistakes and then you'll want to build another boat to use that experience and then you'll want a bigger challenge and.....

Another effect to watch for is wanting to become a professional. If you do that, it helps to hire a bunch of dedicated guys all named Matt.

Laszlo

Have you called in sick to work just so that you can work on your kayak ?

Yes, but with a great deal of self-control you might be able to limit yourself to one a year. -Wes

Oh yes, Did my first kayak last year, justed started my next kayak, and then I conviced my bro-in-law he needed to build one (really so I can just have another kayak to work on). You do need a lot of self-control or a wife that won't let you build mre than one boat a year.

I'm not addicted.I only built 3 last year,I only look at the on line catalog two or three times a day, and I haven't even ordered one this year, but as soon as I can decide which one to build first this summer.....  I know in my heart that I can stop any time I want.   Now the builders forum, thats addictive.                                                

Yes, I did call out from work, the day I glassed the hull. I knew I wouldn't finish in time. I have not however, borrowed money to buy kits or lied about how I was spending my time!

Now that we've solidly confirmed the addictive qualities of kayak building, let me suggest that you try a hybrid next, before moving on to a full strip boat (or two, or three). Wes

One kayak is too many, and 1000 isn't enough.  Is there a twelve step program?

I am wondering whether a Skin on Frame kayak would satisfy anyone's addiction.  They are supposed to be quicker to build, and extremely light, and also much more durable than one would expect.  Can the addiction only be placated by a wood/fiberglass boat?

SOFs have generally satisfied my addiction, but I do other woodworking projects, too, so that may be part of it.

SOFs are significantly faster to build, too. So far I've only done the one S&G, which is now being turned into a hybrid.  I've built 4 or 5 SOFs, though.  I just designed a new SOF "convertible" which should prove to be an interesting project.  An "open cockpit" design for multiple paddlers with a "zip in" single seat cockpit.

FrankP

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.