I built my Northbay about 6 years ago and paddled it faithfully for a few years. When I built her I made some fairly significant modifications, including removiing all the aft-deck carlins, removing the masik?? (forward deck beam by the knees) removing the thigh braces on the cockpit coaming, adding flush hatches fore and aft and changing the skeg. I also made a couple of other minor mods, but those were the big ones.
2 years ago I ripped the deck off the boatin order to do some work on the boat and turn her into a hybrid. I bought my woods, ripped my strips and got all ready to make a beautiful new version of my fine watercraft.
About a month ago, I finally started the actual stripping process. I haven't been successful at adding pics since the format of this forum changed a couple years back so I'll just link to my threads on woodworkingtalk.com.
In the meantime, here are some new mods that I am making in the process of doing this stripped deck. I ripped out the skeg box and filled the hole with some of the material I removed from the deck. I will be adding a fixed skeg running from the skeg box ~3 1/2 to the aft edge of the keel. I never paddle the boat without a skeg and like the idea of the fixed skeg better than the retractable one, at this point. I will also be removing the sheer clamps in the cockpit area completely and have trimmed them to 1/8 inch for the rest of the boat. I may round the stems slightly as they are very sharp and there is a lot of wear on the glass at those points. I haven't decided on that, yet, because I really like the aesthetics of the sharp ends.
original project thread:
current progress thread: