What is the best kit for Fly Fishing??

I am looking for a good Yak/ Canoe that I can use fly fishing. I really like the Sassafras 16 for single person fishing but I want to make sure it will be stable enough. I definitely want to build one that I can stand in for poling and casting ease. If there is another kit that someone thinks might be stable enough for this, I will gladly take your suggestion. Thank you in advance for your help!!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: What is the best kit for Fly Fishing??

Snooker

If you are standing, a canoe is your best bet. I have a wood-duck 12 that is on the upper end for stability for a yak which I use for fly-fishing, but I would not consider standing in it...even a conoe would make me nervous till I got a feel for it-maybe your skill level with a fly rod is smoother than mine....CZ

I also have a wood duck 12, and it is great for fly fishing.  You need to learn to cast sitting down, though, or you'll take a dip.  Kayaks are not designed for standing.

I fly fish from a wood duck 12 sitting down. If you need to stand up then you will need to use an out rigger.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to stand because I fly fish for redfish, snook, and tarpon in the mangroves and on the flats. Standing is a must if you want to sight fish. 

How abut a wood duck or sea island sport with detachable sponsons? Easy to make from plywood and you could take them off when not fishing. SEEYA Jack

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.