My 17LT has begun!

So I started my 17lt and all is going well. its been about two weeks since I started, and I like what I see so far. I am applying the fillets and glass to the keel and chines, did fore of the first bulkhead last night, I'll do the cockpit section today and maybe the aft too, depending on time. I really have enjoyed the build so far, and hope to get it into the water on the first nice Kentucky day, probably about a month from now.  I will post pics soon.

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: My 17LT has begun!

I ordered my 17LT and I can't wait for it to get here.  I look forward to seeing your pictures.  

I was moving my first bottom board to transfer the outline on to it, when all of the sudden my little girl let go of her end and it broke in half. I don't suppose a 16 foot long, 11 inch wide piece of 4mm plywood likes being supported only in the middle. :-( So, tonight I got more practice scarfing plywood and we will try again tomorrow. Good luck to you guys.

nice...My wife nearly dropped her end when we were moving my boat from wooden to its new cradle sawhorses for epoxy work. I think I might have been a little ill, having to unstitch and repair a cracked part. Luckily she has fast reflexes and caught it.

I never had any problems at all moving the 18' panels before I assembed them on my CH18.

All I did was to hold them near the middle, buy hold the sheet vertical.

I had to move nearly all the sheets out of the shed to turn them around.  Sure, they flexed a little, but by being careful, and taking my time, I had no problems at all.

To JNJClark,

Hi It doesn't sound like your panel was cured enough, never had a problem with a panel or strip separating.  Overnight is not enough for a scarf or butt/glassed joint to cure.  If fully cured, you should be able to pick it up in the middle with no problem.

Dirk

To JNJClark,

Hi It doesn't sound like your panel was cured enough, never had a problem with a panel or strip separating.  Overnight is not enough for a scarf or butt/glassed joint to cure.  If fully cured, you should be able to pick it up in the middle with no problem.

Dirk

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but my scarfs didn't break. The wood broke on the outside of the scarf. So, my own accidental destruction testing confirms that the scarfs are stronger than the original wood.

So I fiinish sanded and fiberglassed the hull lalst night, and due too a timing miscalculation, ended up finishing the glass work in the dark by lamplight in the driveway in front of my house. At least its done, and I can apply the second coat today. I plan on a painted finish for the hull and some fo the deck. thinking about carbon powdering too, still thinking about it. Need to do a bit more research. Well, off to go roll coat two.

It doesn't look like I'll make my early april finish line like I wanted, I've been way busy with life. Funny how that trumps boat building. now I have Air Assault school coming up so that pushes my timeline back an additional two weeks. Sigh...wonder if I'll ever see the water...

Ahhh... I remember Air Assult school!  Lovely Ft Campbell KY. Don't worry Ryan,  the boat will be waiting when you get back.  It was amazing to me how fast those 10 days went.  

Yeah, I'm stationed at FT Campbell, so its just around the corner. We get Air Assault, Pathfinder, WLC, and Airborne refresher slots pretty easily in the 101st. Ive been waiting until my knee got a little better before I went. I hurt it in Afghanistan, but its back up to speed now, so hopefully everything will be peachy.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.