DORY OUTBOARD

I'M GOING TO BUILD A DORY UP HERE AT 9500' IN SW COLORADO. ARE THERE ANY FINISHED DORYS IN THIS AREA?  OR IN NEW MEXICO, UTAH, ETC?    ALSO HAS ANYONE BUILT A BRACKET FOR AN OUTBOARD MOTOR?

THANKS, RICHARD ARNOLD

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: DORY OUTBOARD

No motor in mine but how about a motor well in the aft seat with a drop in cover? It would be on center and when not in use the drop board would cover it nicely.    SEEYA Jack

You could also consider one of those off center canoe motor mounts. You could purchase it or fabricate it. It might be limited to electric though.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/32626?pi=88266&qs=3012739_g_shopping&subrnd=0

Richard, I have a Northeaster Dory now getting Brightsides finished. I replaced the stern plywood composite panels with one solid wood panel of the same dimensions, 7/8 inch thickness. Next I cut a slot for the motor mount (Honda 2HP air-cooled) and bracketted into the stern well so that I have a vertical mounting bracket inset on triangular wooden side extensions glued and screwed into the stern.

I have the long-shaft engine and from best estimates and measuring Honda's recommendations for propeller depth when under power, I should hit it just right. We will soon know.

Watch the CLC video of three rowers moving the Northeaster Dory along; this is about what I expect from the Honda BF2DKLCH 20-inch shaft.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.