Northeaster waterline

Has anyone established a load waterline for the NE Dory? I'm going to drop it in the pool, load it up with about 600 lbs. of water bottles and sand bags, wife and kids and mark away. I know the max. load is 800 lbs. but I don't ever plan to go there. I'm just looking for a line to paint carbon/epoxy on the bottom to. Anybody got a better suggestion?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster waterline

I started out with the same approach on my MC 16.5.  Had a fried mark the WL bow and stern while I sat in the rowing position in the boat.  Then it hit me, why put all that carbon and epoxy on the sides of the boat where it will never see contact with the beach.  I exchanged posts with Laszlo on what he did and sure enough, coating the bottom plus about 1" above the lower chine is all you need.  Less weight, less cost, and much easier to establish the line.  When you are in teh boat, the entire coating will most likely be out of sight.

Paul

Put my wife in your dory, then you can skip your water bottles and sand bags, wife and kids!

LMAO!!!!!!   That was funny right there... like my buddy calling his wife his Water Buffalo...

I think the last two posts were pretty unnecessary and lend little to the bettering of boat building.

Paul

I have to go along with you Paul, I don't think that was cool. SEEYA Jack

You're right fellas. I did not mean to upset anybody. Good luck with your project, Jack. As a fellow NE Dory builder, I know you're enjoying yourself.

Neil

NP, Neil. Truth be told, probably most of us thought it was pretty funny!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.