do contact cement and epoxy play nicely together?

I'm finally at the point where I'm installing the hip braces on my CH17LT. I put a coat of unthickened epoxy on the outboard sides of the braces. I haven't coated the sides that will receive the foam yet as I'm not sure if the glue can adhere to epoxy. Should I coat this side too or will the cement and foam provide protection for the wood?  Thanks again for all the help over the past 5 months! 

Patrick

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: do contact cement and epoxy play nicely together?

Patrick,

You'll want to coat your hip braces in epoxy to waterproof them, the cement won't do the job. Once the epoxy has curred the cement and epoxy will play nicely together. Hopefully that helps.

Jason

Thanks Jason! I appreciate your help.

Patrick

You'll need to sand the epoxy finish where you want the contact cement to stick. Use 400 wet/dry sand paper and mask off any areas you don't want contact cement on.

If you don't sand, the cement is likely to peel off after some use. But that may be the result you are looking for if you want to be able to remove the pads at a later date.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. It's almost done! Now it's time to settle on the second boat...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.