Wet Sanding Contours

Have I reinvented the wheel?  I found the standard rubber sanding block too stiff for wet sanding highly curved surfaces such as a kayak deck.   My solution was to place a sponge between the sanding block and sandpaper.  This has the added advantage of carrying water which squeezes out of the sponge as you sand helping wash away the varnish particles as you sand.  I am using a standard rubber wet sanding block  2-5/8 X  4-3/4 and a 2.7 X 4.5 Heavy Duty Scrub Sponge with Scotch-Brite on one side.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wet Sanding Contours

No, I don't think you've invented the using of a sponge.  I believe many of us have used the same approach, just never mentioned it.  It workes very well, as you've found.  There are no real rules.

enjoy

gene  

Gene,

Thanks for you comment.  I hope people new to this problem find this useful.

Tom 

You guys are geniuses.  I'll definitley be using a sponge on Saturday!

Coop

One thing more. Take the DRY sandpaper and fold it. Then take a paper punch and create a few SMALL holes for easy passgae for the water.

John O'

I use a piece of G-pad for a wet sanding block - same stuff they use under artificial turf in football stadiums. Works great! For more intricate curves I just fold 1/4 sheet of W/D in half and back it with my fingers. Don't do the bare hand sand if you need fingerprints, they will be gone for a few days after the sanding. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.