1st build complete

Well I finally completed my 1st build with a lot of help to those who posted on the forum and the wonderful customer service at CLC. Thank you. A picture of the chesapeake 18 is below. I live in AZ  about 50 miles from the Sea of Cortez where the black sea turtle s reside. The first thing they do when they see daylight is head for the ocean which is basically what I want to do except I have to work for my next build. that why I named it Black turtle Run.

1st Build

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 1st build complete

Sorry, the first photo was to large.

Great looking yak, thanks for the pics.  Was it from kit or plans? Do you know how may hours you have into it?

Thanks, this was a chesapeake 18 kit. Ididn't clock the time on this one as it was my first build and I didn't really know what I was doing. I felt the time would have been inaccurate anyway.  However, with that being said, I would guess about 90 hours total (including mistakes and fixes. I have a second kit and plan to keep track of time more accurately with this one as I know a lot more about it know. I will post the time after the build is complete.

Great looking kayak.  I hope you have as much fun with it as I have with my kayak.   It's great that you are building another one.  It is very habit forming.  Good luck and have a blast.

Lou

Your kayak looks grate :)

good work and have fun one your next one

She looks good!

I am curious, your hatches and coaming, are they carbon or just painted black?  Also, the hatches look like they are raised?  Would you mind posting some details about your hatches?  I am about to start a C18 from plans and have not yet decided on hatches.

P.S. love the bow & stern black accents... and the turtle graphic on the bow, nice touch

The coaming and hatches are not carbon and just painted black. I also painted the uderside of the hatches a hatteras off white (same color as the interior of the kayak. I know that most will never see inside the hatches but if they do I wanted to have that "finished" look. I use a HVLP spray gun to paint so it didn't take that much extra time to do. They are raised because of the weather stripping on the underside of the hatch which then sits on top of the hatch framing to form the water tight seal.

Awesome looking piece of work! Congrats on your first build.

I'm in that nervous stage of having ordered plans for my 1st kayak, 17LT I'm in New Zealand and have been waiting an agonising 2 weeks already. Looking at the very professional looking job you have done gives me confidence. Well done indeed.

Hope mine looks as good when I am done - I still have a long way to go, but a little each day....

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.