Transporting craft by bicycle?

This is kind of lighthearted,

but in this time of rising fuel costs, it would be interesting to know if any crazy people out there are transporting there kayaks/paddleboards etc on a trailer linke to a bycycle?

I live about 6 miles from the sea and two from a lake/loch, I often think that cycling there with my paddleboard and back would be a good extra workout! Anyone else? Or am I going to get banned for insane thoughts? lol.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Transporting craft by bicycle?

Like this?

More at Bike Friday

Laszlo 

The bike & trailer seem to fold up & store in the kayak while paddling. Now that's really slick!

Laszlo 

I went shopping around for one of those new electric scooters today with the same thought of towing a kayak....no chance of stuffing it in the hatch though.  Here's a link http://video.aol.com/video-detail/towing-a-kayak/3094171427?icid=acvsv1

Chris 

I know  in southern California  it's very common to see people carrying longboards on their bikes with little cradles.  Very similar to a J cradle for a boat only a little taller so it holds both sides of the board.  You could definitely do the same thing with a paddle board, though with a full kayak it would be more difficult.  I think the easiest would be something akin to the picture posted.

FrankP 

I actually saw a cradle with a longboard when once on holiday in the USA.

That gave me the idea, for a San O or other large paddleboard I think it would need a trolley like in the photo though....

The ultimate in self-sufficient, go kayaking anywhere is the combination

of a bicycle (mountain bike?) or hiking + Tom Yost folding kayak.

http://www.yostwerks.com/SA1.html

As soon as I am done with my Pax 20, Tom's folder in next on my list.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.