sanding rice paper

Hi Everyone!

I am doing my first build. (chesapeake 18) I created a transfer using rice paper per the wonderful advice posted on this forum and have a question. Here's what I have done with it so far. I made the stencil with a laser jet. Just a simple font used for the kayak name. I cut it out in a cloud form and wetted the surface of the kayak prior to putting the rice paper on so it will stick in place. I then wetted out the transfer and the rice paper became clear just like everyone said it would. My question is this: Should I lightly sand it prior to putting on the cloth. I probably should have done this all in one step but I felt I would not be able to control any bubbles or wrinkles in the transfer( or keep it straight for that matter) if I did that as the transfer is on the side of the kayak and was in a difficult location to work with. Will it make a differnce if I don't sand prior to putting on the cloth? If it will make a difference what should I sand it with? It just seems a little bit "rough" as it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks, 

Jeff

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: sanding rice paper

If the epoxy on there now is still slightly tacky you shouldn't need to sand it before recoating. But if the cure has progressed much further than that, go ahead and scuff it up lightly by hand with a fine grit paper. It doesn't take much.

Cheers, Grant

The danger, and I am sure your concern, is that you will sand into the paper.  A very real possiblity.  You can check with Mas or who ever's epoxy you are using, but as I recall, you are good to recoat without sanding up to at least 72 hours.  Hope you can find someone to confirm this over the weekend.

PS:  I have waited a lot londer than that with no problems.

Paul

To a great extent, it depends on whehter your ink is on the 'upper' or 'lower' face of the ricepaper (relative to the boat hull).

I print my pictures in mirror-image (Usually printers have a 't-shirt transfer' or somesuch setting), which prints the picture as a reversed mirror-image). Then, I apply it face down onto the wetted hull. When the paper is wetted out, the image is right-way-round, and clearly visible though the paper.  If you are careful, this allows later sanding of the paper substrate, without removing any ink. Still need to be careful though.

If you've done it the other way,ie  where the ink has ended up on the part of the ricepaper facing away from the hull, I'd proceed with caution. If less than 72 hours or so, proceed as the wise folk have suggested above. If greater than 72hrs, I wouldn't sand it (ie with sandpaper) for fear of removing ink. I'd use a green pot-scouring pad, gently, to matt the surface, which is all you need to appy the next layer of 'pox.

Thanks for all the great advice. I opted to not sand it for fear of going through the paper. I went ahead and put on the cloth and wetted it out. All seems to be working pretty good at this point.  Thanks again for all the wonderful advice.

Jeff

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.