reversed aft hatch on 17lt

A group of us consumed  some adult beverges and did not pay attention what we were doing and reversed the direction of the cutting aft hatch opening, that is ,place the wider end towards the stern. Does anyone see any issues with that?  BTW it is a good arguement for sobriety when working on the kayak!

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: reversed aft hatch on 17lt

Which way is the front hatch cut out?  ;)

Well, that was earlier in the day, so it was cut correctly, the narrow end to the bow, wider to the stern, the aft was cut later in the day!

"A group of us ..."

Q:How many drunk guys does it take to cut a hatch opening?

A:One guy to hold the saw, and 5 guys to move the boat up and down.

The only issue I can see is that it will look fugly. Luckily, it's the aft hatch, so you won't have to look at it when paddling. But your paddling buddies will see it and helpfully point it out.

Cheers, Pat

I've done it without the help of beverages.  No one but the experienced builder will notice.  I would not call it ugly.  Been about 4 yrs. and no one has brought it to my attention.

Kim

Putting the small end of the hatch forward will actually reduce drag so your kayak will be faster than most 17lt's. For more speed you can paint a red stripe down the side. Any reputable naval architect would agree red stripes increase the coefficient of speed. And I haven't been consuming adult beverages.

George K

Ok, so I haven't been on this forum in quite some time, but why on earth would you consume adult beverages before cutting into a beautiful mahogany deck!?!?! 

Heck, it took me 2 hours just to make sure all my measurements perfect, then I hovered over the deck poised with a jigsaw for what seemed like hours thinking to myself,  "its alright if you mess up...its just a boat, its just a boat, its just a boat." 

~Chris

The only issue I can see is getting long items into the hatch may be more difficult with it reversed.  Other than that it won't make any difference what so ever to the performance of the boat, and I doubt anyone will notice it except you.

FrankP

it can be saved , get a skill saw and cut the entire boat into one inch strips and use these to build a strip  kayak

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.