varnish temperature & storage

OK, I have never had much luck with storing varnish once opened.  [I think] I follow the right procedures, allways stir, never shake, pour out varnish to be used, never pour back.  I even tried pouring in a little thinner before sealling it and one suggestion that I read on the internet, breathed into the tin to remove the O2, did nothing. 

So, looking for some expert advice.  I have a half can of Epifanes varnish left over from a different project that I want to use on my WD12.  Launched her in June and figured an extra coat or two better than just throwing out the varnish.

1) What temperature can I apply the varnish?  I live just north of Toronto and we atarting to get down to single digits so I'm worried it is too cold to apply.  She lives inside so the plan is to apply, give it a day or two, then bring her back inside to cure over the winter.  Heating the barn for application is not an option.

2) How can I effectively store the varnish so that it will be viable come spring?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: varnish temperature & storage

David, recommend transfering it from the can to a smaller container leaving little or no airspace.  I use my wife's canning jars (which never fails to annoy her).  Make sure you lable the jar--wouldn't want to be pouring Epifanes over your hotcakes.

David, seems everyone has a trick for storage. you have to find what works for you. I have found ping pong balls or golf balls placed in the can to reduse the airspace works well for me. I also do alot of work with wood and go through the stuff fairly quickly. so cans are not around for a long period of time. good luck.

Or you can use Bloxygen, which is a mixture of inert gases you spray into the can before you close it up.

http://www.bloxygen.com/

I'm wondering if the skinning over of the surface (that normally occurs) effectively seal off the remainder of the varnish from the air? When you're ready to use it again, break through the skin and strain the varnish you'll be using through a suitable filter material to remove any varnish "chunks".

My cheap easy way to store partial paint cans with NO deterioration of the contents.  Cut a piece of common kitchen saran wrap or plastic wrap to slightly larger than diameter of the can.  "Push" the wrap down to cover the surface of the paint and workout any air bubbles.  

When you go to re-use the paint just pullout the wrap and discard.  I have never had paint go bad on me.  This works for years! 

I just opened a partial can of the dreaded Schooner Gold that has been sitting since March. I expected a solid mess as I had done nothing but put the lid on (and not very well). It was fine! I mixed in a splash of 333 and a splash of penetrol in a small cup and just put the first coat on the hull of my wife's sw16h. Looks great! Again thanks to Joey Schott for the penetrol tip...it went on like buttah. (pic in other thread)

Dan 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.