Grey glass

I added some fabric designs to my Kaholo, when I glassed the deck I carefully wetted all the fabric and smoothed it all out.  Went back to check it about an hour later and it still looked good: clear, no bubbles.  Today I went out to prep it for another coat and the last 15 to 18" at the bow are grey.  It was in the mid to high 70's with 67% humidity. falling temps. The whole process from fabric to final wetting of glass took a bit more then an hour.  Advice?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Grey glass

Was it possible that this was done in the late afternoon, early evening hours, and was the whole boat under shelter?  Did it fog that evening?  Sounds like you got moisture from the humidity maybe.  I had the same happen here in S. Cal two weeks ago.  Epoxied too late and left outside, heavy fog that evening.  had to sand it all out.

RE: Grey glass

There are far more experienced builders out there but it appears to me to be blushing... we had lots of experience with blushing and grey splotches.  CLC gave us some good advice and we learned a bit by trial and error

Does it look like this:

http://thejoyofbuildingwoodenkayaks.blogspot.com/

It so, immediately scrub the surface with a scrubby brush (3m green side) and water.  Some will say that you can get away with just water, but I had the most luck by using dishwashing soap as well.  Just make sure you super thoroughly clean the surface afterwards to remove any trace of the soap and blush.  

We found that when cleaned immediately it wasn't too bad.  When we waited the blush seemed to be inside the epoxy.  This required a combination of lots of sanding and scrubbing with lots of water and soap to remove.

It is very hard to see the grey blush when the boat is wet or when it is sanded.  A dry towel and alchohol will let you see the surface blemishes.... Eyeball the spot and sand and scrub some more.

After an insane amount of scrubbing with soap and water, sanding, and alchohol we applied another layer of epoxy... 

We were able to get almost all of the blushing out of our boats... I still need to do our hatches so I am hoping that waiting didn't make the job too much harder.

- Josh 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.