Roof rack for CH18 on a 2000 GMC Jimmy

Anyone have any recommendations for a rack?  The Malone and Thule sites fit guides do not have a solution they recommend.  Amazon reviews slam the Malone's ability to clamp on the rails effectively.  Anybody use a Thule model they like or any other recomendations.  I just spent alot of time and effort on this CH18 and I don't want to take any chances while transporting it.  It will be on the highway at speed for hours to get to a paddle destination.

Thanks

Matt

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Roof rack for CH18 on a 2000 GMC Jimmy

**Disclaimer** I am not an employee of nor am I endorsing this site,  rackattack.com. That being said, I got my racks there and they have their own fit guide which I found to work better than Thule's, for instance. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input.  I emailed their tech support to get a refined solution.  It looks like they will be able to hook me up.

I built my own J racks out of some 2x4 and spare 1/2" ply.  2,400 KM to PQ & back, the Duck and the Egret (17' SOF) arrived safe and sound.  Majority of the trip was on cruise @ 120KM/hr.  Happy to email you details.  david at dragonsong dot ca

Thanks for the link to rackattack, czdan. I've had a similar problem finding a rack to fit my GMC Envoy. They found five systems. After looking at the prices, though, I think I will stick with the $15 foam blocks I've been using for almost a decade now. -Wes

twofootartist, do you drive at highway speeds for hours with the foam blocks?

I try to keep my speed under 60 mph when carrying anything on the roof. At that rate it only takes a 15 knot headwind to create hurricane conditions. And since most rooftop carry failures involve the rack coming off the car, I use bow lines hooked to holes in the frame when I'm going to be on the highway. That said, I frequently travel long distances at highway speeds with no problems. I've also had no problems with empty foam pads on the roof rack at highway speeds, although I usually remove them when not in use. When the boats are properly strapped down, it should not matter whether they are sitting on cheap foam pads or expensive cradles. BTW, I carve the foam pads to fit the V-bottom on my Merganser and the flat bottom on my daughter's Ganymede. -Wes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.