sculling slot

I'd like to add a "sculling slot" to my passagemaker take-apart. Are there any sketchs or suggestions regarding size and shape?

Thanks

George

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: sculling slot

Doesn't the Northeaster Dory's transom have one of those?  But now that it's been brought up, I'm wondering if I can work one of tohse things into the Jimmy Skiff I'm building.  It's got the transom reinforcement for mounting a rudder, but I'm not sure the rest of the stern will be stiff enough to take a sculling oar.  Any thoughts?

When I was growing up with wooden skiffs and prams, my dad would add an oarlock on the transom for sculling.

Bill

Bill, what kinds of forces were involved?  My kit's transom is 1/4-in. plywood, reinforced with a keystone-shaped wooden piece that only covers about a third of its width.  Should I add some more wood as long as I haven't painted yet, or is sculling such a gentle thing that the plywood alone would be adequate?

I don't *think* sculling puts nearly as much load on an oarlock as rowing does.  If the reinforced part of your transom is meant to take the forces of having a rudder hung there, it would probably be plenty strong enough.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.