Advice on 1st major scratch...

Hello All:

Well, I knew the day would come eventually.  I got my first major scratch in the hull of my Wood Duck 12 today.  I was cruising a local pond, just ghosting along when I ran into a nice-sized submerged rock.

I don’t think it penetrated down to the wood.   My thumbnail doesn’t go into the scratch.

I’ve attached a link to some pictures of the scratch.  I put my camera into macro mode for the last one.

I need some advice on what to do.  I looked on the boat building tips, but I am still a bit confused.  I plan on re-finishing it this winter (this will be her third season), but will this need attention right away?  If so, will it require epoxy or just a quick re-varnish?

My father-in-law built the boat for me, so it is very special.  I want to take the best care possible of it.

Thanks!!

All my best,

Dan

Link:

http://www.pbase.com/dan_kehlenbach/misc

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Advice on 1st major scratch...

I did a similar thing with my shearwater the first week out. The scratch was deep but not into the epoxy. I dabbed a thick (ugly) stripe of varnish on it and have been happily paddling away with plans to wet sand and refinish in the winter.

Dan 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.