Oxford Shell Cockpit-Reducing Volume

I have an Oxford Shell outfitted with a Piantedosi deck mounted rowwing and a self bailer.  I have been in water rough enough to fill the cockpit which could not be removed even though I have a self bailer.  I'm thinking of trying to reduce the volume of the cockpit by custom building small decks/platforms within the cockpit around the rowwing.  The goal is to reduce volume and create more positive floatation.  Any tried this or have any thoughts?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Oxford Shell Cockpit-Reducing Volume

Have you tried a white water canoe air bag? Less permanent and would be a flexible fit (pardon the pun:-)

I hadn't thought of that but will look into it.  Clearly a quick way to increase the saftey.  Thanks.

It took some time, but I finally completed some modifications to my Oxford Shell.  I built a deck inside the cockpit that fits just  below the row wing.  There is still a small area beneath the foot stretchers that collects any water coming into the cockpit and then drains through the self bailer.  I still need to test the set up, but with the additional positive floatation and reduced cockpit volume, I expect I'll be able to keep moving even if I happen to catch a couple of larger wave.  I'm much more comfortable rowing this as a open water shell now. 

[images removed]

Interesting! I have been contemplating a similar setup. I would be interested to see another picture showing how you installed the rowing unit.

Thanks!

I bought the shell used a few years ago.  The row wing is deck mounted and has a small plate at each end that bolts to a small deck.  I haven't seen too many Oxford's, and in fact am not sure I have ever seen another one up close, but recall talking to someone who suggested they are not all set up like this.  You can see a little of the decks and the deck plates in a couple of the photos.

[images removed]

Really interesting and very nice work!

Thanks for the additional photos.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.