Varnish Brand

I may get in trouble for this but who has used the Helsmen Sapr Varnish before and how well did it work out for you? I know twofootartist used it on his Merganser, beautiful boat by the way I want to make one myself, how were the results.

Time and money is a little short right now and it is half the cost and time then anyother varnish I've seen, I am thinking of adding that now and then this winter when all the water is frozen over to sanding it down and put on the Captain Z varnish.

Any advice or opinions?

Thanks, Jason

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Varnish Brand

I've been using MINWAX Indoor/Outdoor Helmsman Spar Urethane Varnish on my boats for a long time.  Seems to be as good as any of the fancy-named/high priced "marine varnishes"...(tried most all of them over the years), holds up well, easy to use, good UV protection, costs about $11/qt and is available at local box stores in clear gloss, semi-gloss & satin. Works for me!  Good Luck.  Jer (aka mtsailor). http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus

RE: Varnish Brand

I've also used both and won't buy the high dollar stuff any more.  The whole issue is UV protection and up here in Michigan the Helmspar seems to do just fine.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.