Building a 14' tandum

I have a couple of power boat builds under my belt , one being the Glen-L TNT modified to be jet-ski powered.

Now I want to build a 14' tandem Kayak . I was at Bass Prow and saw the Old town Excursion 2, took a few measurements and did a 1/4 section mock up. I have left over material 50 yards of 6 oz. cloth 50'' wide, some paint ,and a gal. of epoxy resin since 2007, so I need to build another boat.

Any sugestions on what I have come up with? 

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/scrawford_photos/Kayak%20project/

16 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Building a 14' tandum

I like the multi-chine hull.  Not sure how well two people will fit in a 14 footer; seems like 16 would be a minimum (but I've no experience with tandems).

My only suggestion would be to build it as a stripper instead of plywood..., that's what my next boat will be. 

Good luck,

Larry

kayakAbout 9 days later this it what I have come up with not having any plans.

Awoodman,

That's very nice, especially considering no plans!  I take it those frames remain in place?  Is the hull stiched together? (difficult to see the stitches on my computer).

Keep posting photos,

Larry

The plywood (moisture resistant luan) is stitched together and the frames will stay. I weighed the ply pcs. after they were cut out and they total 20lbs. + the frames.

Moisture resistant is not waterproof. It's liable to delaminate. If you have any scraps boil a piece for about 30 minutes to get an idea of how reliable the glue is.

Luan usually have very thin outer veneers which won't contribute anything to the strength of the panel.

Fourteen feet is rather short for two people who have to sit with their legs extended. Best to do a test sit-in before the deck goes on to see if a double that short is practical. I have a 14 foot pirogue that will sit two people but I'm not encumbered by a deck and, I suspect, the front person would have to sit between the rear person's feet

Did you include any rocker and if so how much?

This is more or less a prototype in my mind, besides the TNT was made of luan also.

And their is no rocker built into it and their will be verry little deck.

I think I am going to cedar strip the deck.

Progress.

More progress.....Don't you love how wood comes alive with a clear finish.

Newer pics. Riging up an anchor trolley.

Hello awoodman

I'm the owner and maintainer of a web-site dealing with "non fuel travel" of any kind. I'm on the lookout for articles for this web-site all the time.

As I like your builds and your photos as well, I'd like to publish them in the area "Instructions" or "Projects" in english and in german (will translate your text).

The site can be found here http://www.oeko-travel.org/en/home_made/00_index.php

In case of interest please write me a short e-mail to [email protected]

Thank you, and keep going on with your very interesting work!

This was my first kayak 20 boats ago....

20 boats later...how did the luan hold up?   

I sold the boat after a few months.....I found a way better yet inexpensive alternative to the high priced marine ply......I have used Baltic Birch on several boats...3ply 1/8" on S&G hulls and 1/2" on skin boat frames.......

I have had a test piece of 1/2" nailed to a fence post for several years, it has never delaminated........

I notice the "tandem" only has one seat. 

Here is one pic.   http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/scrawford_photos/Kayak%20project/tn_PIC_1346.jpg

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.