Glassing over the edges of the deck

I was interrupted when glassing the deck and had to run out after wetting out to the edges, didn't realize at the moment that I was supposed to wet down the trimmed sides as well.  Once it's dry, there's no point in trying to do that, so I trimmed it all off and continued on.  My question is, should I use glass tape to go over the entire deck edge, or will epoxy be sufficient?  Is that a critical area of glass support?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Glassing over the edges of the deck

Yes, you should have some overlap from the deck to the hull.  This helps with strength and with durability against the inevitable abuse the edges will take.  

The deck to hull seam takes a lot of stress, so it's important to glass it. Here's the neatest way to do it: Cut strips of glass cloth about two or three inches wide on the bias - that is, at 45 degrees to the threads. Apply masking tape the full length on both deck and hull about an inch from the seam. Epoxy the cloth strips to the seam. After about four hours, while the epoxy is still soft, use a utility knife with a fresh blade to score the cloth along the edge of the masking tape. Then pull off the tape and the edges of the cloth will come with it, leaving a clean edge that can be sanded smooth after the epoxy hardens for a day. -Wes

That's a hot technique, I will do that today.  I have a good amount of leftover glass cloth I can use for that.  I can think of other places that technique would be useful, too.  Thanks.

You can see photos of this technique before and after stripping the tape on my Ganymede page at http://twofootartist.com/ganymede-construction-notes/ Scroll about 2/3 of the way to the April 16, 2010 post. -Wes

Oops! That's the May 16 post. Left click on the photos to enlarge them to full screen. -Wes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.