How to transport

Finally finished my WD12 and found to my surprise that I'd been so consumed with the building process that I had not made provision for getting the boat to the water.

I'm not inclined to spend upwards of $500 for a roof rack system, seeing as how the cars we have aren't worth a whole lot more than that. In the foreseeable future, I would be taking the boat to a small lake at a nearby national forest, a distance of about eight miles on a state route.

Scrolling through the CLC site, I see a Malone carrier for about fifty bucks, which is a much more attractive price range. Anyone out there with knowledge of this product?

I quite understand that a higher-quality carrier would carry the boat more securely. I really don't want to spend the money if I can avoid it.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How to transport

Mike,

That Malone package, with the foam blocks, is intended to fit over rack cross bars.  However, they would probably work OK just sitting on the car roof for short distances.  You would need to strap over the boat and thru the car windows or door openings.  It's hard on the door gaskets but maybe they are shot on your old car anyway.  Also run bow and stern lines down to your bumbers.  The Malone package may not have enough straps.  If you need more, do not buy rachet types as it is easy to put to much stress on the boat.

Load her up, drive carefully, and happy paddling.

Paul

If you have a hatchback, and you aren't going too far.....   :)

What Paul said, except that if you tie it down tightly enough it's fine even for long distances. You'll probably scratch your roof paint, though. Grit gets under the foam blocks no matter what.

I also found that ratchet straps are not a problem if you can pass them  over the very front, the very back or immediately in front or back of the coaming. Those are the 4 strongest places on a WD12. Everywhere else, though, follow Paul's advice and use the straps with cam cleats.

I've also just tossed mine into the back of my S10 pickup with the bow attached to the bed. 6 feet of boat stuck out behind the truck and for some reason I didn't get any tailgaters :-) So it might work in a hatchback.

Laszlo

Thanks for the advice. By the way, building the boat was so much fun that even if I never took it out, it would have been worth it. It took me about 16 months (I'm a slowpoke and didn't do much over the winter) so the cost per month for an all-consuming hobby was probably less than $100. And I've got a cool boat!

Mike, you did not mention if your car has a roof rack already.  I have been using a sliced open pool noodle over the bar of the roof rack as a temporary solution for my WD12, works great even at highway speeds.  I am currently building a custom J rack out of 1/2" ply and 2x4.  Made one for my 17' SOF, worked so well, I'm doing one for my WD.  Happy to share design (it is quite simple really) and only cost was the U bolts, had scrap ply, 2x4s and left over paint.

contact me david at dragonsong dot ca if you want more details.

I've used pool nnodles threaded over pvc electrical conduit, with tie-downs threaded through the middle. Pas the rest of the tie-down through the car doors and ratchet it tight. Solid as a rock.

I've carried a Sasssafras 16 for 500km (about 300miles in 18th century measurements) and back without a hitch (car-load carrying device-based pun intended! Hitch, geddit?).

Ahem. Ermmm. Here's a photo:

"I've used pool noodles threaded over pvc electrical conduit, with tie-downs threaded through the middle. Pass the rest of the tie-down through the car doors and ratchet it tight. Solid as a rock."

Clever, cheap, secure solution - I like it!

Grant

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.