How far into the bow and stern should I run the interior 3in glass

I am building a C18.

When cutting the glass strips that lay over the interior fillets, how far into the bow and stern should they go? All the way to the sheer clamps or just to where the end pours will stop? 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How far into the bow and stern should I run the interior 3in glass

Just make sure you cover the fillets completely, this will take the cloth tape into the bow and stern a bit and the end pours will probably cover part of them. All depends on how you build the cardboard dams to hold the end pours.

George K 

Thanks for the response.

So, on to the fillets themselves, in the bow I see no issue with running them up to the top of the hull as I can get my tools in the space between the sides of the kayak. Howverin the stern I can not run it the last few inches due to the closeness of the sides of the kayak. Is it ok to leave the last few inches unfilleted and just trust to the end pour to strengthen that last bit?

It's possible to get the cloth tape into the stern using some "home made" tools, i.e. long, thin scraps of plywood, sanded round and smooth, to push the tape where your hands cannot reach. Just do the best you can, no problem if you can't get it in there as there's going to be a patch on the outside, cloth cut on the bias to wrap around the stern, that will protect and strengthen that joint. And the end pour will also help hold it all together.

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.