Bow rub strip for WD12

I have put the kevlar strips on a couple of canoes so am familiar with that option.  I need to do something for my wife's Wood Duck, the first weekend we had already rubbed through the carbon (two coats).  What I do not want to do is ruin the fine edge that is the bow of the duck.  I'm thinking my best option is a very small piece of kevlar felt.  The boat gets fairly heavy use, out on average twice a week, we are careful with our beach landings.  I'm OK with use (aka scratches), looking for a balance of keeping the very cool knife edge bow and functional boat that we can relax and enjoy.

Anyone tried metal (I'm thinking brass) like on antique boats?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bow rub strip for WD12

Dave,

Are your current rub strips carbon over dynel cloth?  I cannot believe they would wear thru like that. 

I put those strips on my MC 16.5 two years ago and they do not show any wear at all.  Now, I do very few beach landings, but the stern gets set down on the asphalt every time I load or unlaod the boat  Were your strips new?  Maybe they were short on cure time.r

Brass always looks great.  Are you willing to take the added weight? 

Paul

Try adding 15% cab-o-sil to the graphite/epoxy mix.

Laszlo

Currently do not have rub strips.  I finshed the boat same as Laszlo, carbon under coat, bright top sides.  I was thinking of a cab-o-sil option.  I did that on my SOF and it is working brilliantly, though I am a little more cautious with her, but beach landings are about the same.  I had not dynel cloth option... think I will try the cab-o-sil first since I have that on hand.  As for the extra weight of copper, thinking it would not even be a pound.

Thanks for the advice.

David, I have used 3mm stainless steel wire with success. Check out this thread.

http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi/page/1/md/read/id/189124/sbj/s-g-new-build-update-1-pic/

Cheers

Robert

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.