Chesapeake 18 conversion to sliding seat ?'s

I built an 18' Chesapeake a few years ago.  I want to convert it to a sliding seat boat by changing the deck, beefing up the center section of the hull and dropping in a Piantedosi unit.  

Has anyone ever done this?

Is there some reason that this is not a good idea?

Ideas about how it could be accomplished? 

Thanks.  Tom 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 18 conversion to sliding seat ?'s

Tom,

Take a look at picture 13 in the Mill Creek 16.5 Main Gallery.  That's my boat with rowing rig installed.  It looks to me like you would be short of beam at the deck.  I see that the CH 18 is 24" and I measure the MC at about 21 inside the coaming.  That only gives you about 1 1/2" for deck and coaming.

As far as mounting, I think you could adapt the MC 16.5 Fit Kit which is "L" brackets on the rail attaching to bottom mounted blocks fore and aft.

Keep us posted if you go ahead.

Paul

Thanks Paul.  I so appreciate your help.  I can see what you mean about being "short of beam".  I assume you mean  where the outriggers make their bend closest to your coaming.  My boat is about 17.25 there.  Do you know if there are dimensions of the Piantedosi posted anywhere.  I could make a mock up and see how it might fit before I get too involved.

I had anticipated taking off the deck completely or cutting it out to accomodate the rig and then re laminating a new coaming more similar in shape to the MC's opening.

If the hull isn't wide enough to accomodate it, raising it up may raise the cg too high.

Tom 

Tom,

The Piantedosi assembly instructions, at least 2 1/2 years ago, looked like they were done by a third-grader so I would not hold out any hope for scale drawings.  I would be happy to measure mine up, but I am currently 1300 miles from home and will not be returning until the first week in August.  Do you live close to any place where CLC will be doing demos?  They usually have at least one rowing rig with them and you could measure it yourself plus discuss the project with the CLC guys.  If not, I would be glad to get you some info after I return home.

Paul

Thanks again Paul.  I'll look forward to whatever you can send.  Safe travels.

Tom 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.