Help: CLC Demo Locations in the San Francisco Bay Area?

We're putting together the West Coast Tour for September 2010.  We've demo'd in Sacramento on Labor Day, September 6th for the past 4-5 years and we always get an enormous crowd there, but we're sensible of the groans from Bay Area inhabitants.

(Sacramento has a confluence of factors that make it especially easy for us.  Our West Coast agent lives there.  He provides a place to stay---not inconsequential in a state where Motel 6 rooms can run $120/night.  He helps with the permits and so forth.  And we draw from Nevada as well there.)

Anyway, we've done Bay Area demos going back ten years at least, including three stops at Coyote Point in San Mateo.  That one has the requisite parking for CLC's big rig, but the beach there tends to be rough all the time.

So here's the wish list:  a park in the Bay Area with a protected beach and plenty of parking.  We should be able to park our 40-foot-long rig quite close to the beach---we'll have 20 boats with us, not all of them lightweight kayaks.  The park administration needs to be friendly to out-of-state vendors and not too bureaucratic.  

From about five years back.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Help: CLC Demo Locations in the San Francisco Bay Area?

My colleague David nominated Schoonmaker Marina in Sausalito.  Looks like a good one.  Any local knowledge?

Schoonmaker beach would be an ideal location. I'm not sure who controls access but SeaTrek kayaks is directly behind the beach and may be able to shed some light on that. There have been many events run from the beach including the surfski nationals. There are several rowers who use that beach as well. The Sausalito Open water Rowing Center is there also. There is parking there as well that is controlled by Schoonmaker Marina.

I also agree that Schoonmaker would be a very good location. The beach is great and it's in the middle of Sausalito, so lots of boaters.

Crown Beach in Alameda or the docks at California Canoe and Kayak in Jack London Square, Oakland would both be good locations.  Tom

the only issue i see with Sausalito locatioin i s the Sausalito Arts Festival is held there every Labor day weekend.  they  are not far from  Schoonmaker Marina so the parking would be a problem.  the last few years i have parked close to Schoonmaker point.

another thought i had for location would be to contact calkayakermag.com.  California Kayaker magazine.  they might have an idea of a good beach with access.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.