Multiple Glass Layers on Hull - SH

I'm new to fiberglass work, and I'm getting ready to do the outside of my Shearwater hybrid hull. I have a few questions:

1) I'm considering doing the 3 layers separately, and my instinct is to do them in the following order: bottom, keel ends, entire hull. Any reason NOT to do it this way?

2) For the football-shaped bottom layer, it would seem logical to have the glass overlap the chine joints to protect them against impacts/abrasion, but the instructions don't seem to specify this. Any guidance?

Thanks, Pat

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Multiple Glass Layers on Hull - SH

I did mine as per the directions...hull, bottom, keel. Seems to me doing it that way, if you scrape the keel and have to sand the glass you're not sanding the main sheet, just the strip.

Dan

Dan,

Did you do them all at once or one layer at a time?

All at once. It was a little tricky to keep it all in place, but not too bad.

Dan

If you're new to glass work you may be better off doing them one at a time. Doing all at once has a risk of bubbles, excessive epoxy use and excessive weight. It's definitely possible to do a good job either way, but easier, albeit slower, to do it one at a time.

If you do end up doing it one at a time, you only need to wait until one sheet cures to just beyond tacky before you can put the next sheet on. As long as it's not a complete cure, you don't have to worry about blush or sanding and you'll get the much-desired "chemical" bond rather than the maligned "mechanical" bond.

Good luck either way,

Laszlo

I have done two boats, both were done by putting down the 'football' shaped piece first, covering it with the full size piece, then wetting them out together. I saw John do it this way during a demo a few years ago and works fine. BUT, I won't do it this way again because to feather the edge of the 'football' shaped piece you are actually cutting into the full size piece. If you put down the biggest piece of glass first the edges to be feathered are exposed not encapsulated.

Lew

OK, I set aside my doubts and did all 3 layers at once last night, per the instructions. It looks pretty good, except for the loose threads that resulted from squeegeeing the edges of  the football and keel end layers. Is it OK to sand these flat before applying the fill coats? And can/should I sand to feather the edges of the extra layers before doing the fill coats?

Thanks, Pat

I sanded some between coats, but the 2nd and 3rd layers of epoxy cover the strands pretty well. Also remember that you will be sanding the deck glass to feather that in too, so a lot can be done later.

Dan

Thanks, everyone. Seems to be going OK. Just applied my 2nd fill coat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.