Water sloshing up through daggerboard trunk (Passagemaker)

Have any of you developed elegant solutions for water splashing up through the daggerboard trunk when motoring or rowing (without the daggerboard inserted)? The trunk is integral to the middle seat in the Passagemaker Dinghy, making for a wet ride for the person on the middle seat! I've thought of making a short (non-protruding) version of the daggerboard, but maybe some of you have a better idea.

Bob 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Water sloshing up through daggerboard trunk (Passagemaker)

Hi Bob,

I've seen what you're talking about, and think it's a good solution.  It could be much quicker to build than a regular DB too, because it doesn't have to be strong, and doesn't need a foil shape.  When inserted, it would be good if it closely fills the lower couple inches of the DB trunk, and is fair with the bottom of the hull. 

If you want something very simple you could just glue some shaped timber cheeks to the top and the bottom of a piece of plywood.  The ply would not have to be thick - and you could even cut a big hole out of its middle, if you had some reason to do so.

Grant

Grant and  Bob are spot-on. A simple plug as you've desecribed works a treat. I've seen it many times.

I use a piece of closed-cell foam to plug the slot on my brand-X dinghy which suffers from the same problem. No worries about exact shaping, it just jams into the hole and seals it.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.