next boat

I will be finished with my WD 12 Hybrid this week, and will splash this weekend. Today I wet sanded to 400 and tomorrow, will be the final coat of varnish. I have been thinking about my next boat. My workroom will comfortably accomodate a max overall lenght of 14'. I think the Night Heron and the Guillemots are beautiful boats, but they would be too long to build in my space. The next thought is the Shearwaters, and am thinking about the SW Hybrid 14. I weigh about 150 lbs at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Barry 

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: next boat

Which brings up the old debate: Do we need to divide the forum into two separate weight classes?

(Barry, you would be in the U-100 league.)  (That's kilograms).

The SW Hybrid 14 would be ok.  But if I were you, I would add a lead keel just to be sure, and tether myself to the vessel with bungee cords, in case the breeze freshens.

Now, those of us in the Unlimited Division will sometimes choose the same boat.  But we will attach two fully inflated truck inner tubes under the hull with packing tape, and she will float to her lines exactly as if we were still able to fit into our paisley wedding tuxes. 

Hey Camper, The humor is very much appreciated, but the question was serious. As a guy who races sailboats, the breeze does not concern me. And even though I still have my wedding tux which is 38 years old, and although it isn't paisley, I am not too far off from what I weighed back then. I am concerned that with a 150 lb paddler, the Sheerwater 14 would not float on her lines, and therefore the performance would be compromised. I know that the SW 16 is probably the better choice for my size, but my building space is limited to about 14 feet.

Hope you get a serious reply to your question, and sorry for the diversion.

Anyway, STAYING in shape at our age (now that I know you're one of us!) is even better than BEING in shape.  You've inspired  me to redouble my efforts.

Hey Barry

I just took the top off the forms and my WD Hybrid 12--it now has a layer of glass on the under side of the top. You scare me because I am looking at the various boats and I have caught myself thinking about the same thing--so whats next? I have learned a lot and the next boat will not have the learning curve that #1 did. My shop is also limited for space but now that it is warm, I do have the option of removing the auto from the garage and expanding the possibilities. Is their a cure for our ailment or is it permenant ?? CZ

Hey CZ, First off, my suggestion is to leave the forms in place tack glued to the hull. Then glass the bottom of the deck, and then refit the deck in place and tack glue (I used hot glue). Remove the forms after the deck is installed and tacked in place. Something to consider. One of my earlier postings had to do with the deck not fitting properly after removing the hull forms. Please check it out. It might save you from getting upset or frustrated.

This also was my first kayak,WD 12 HB and am so pleased with the way it came out, that I am thinking of maybe a bit more challenging of a boat like a complete stripper. But I like my comfort in my shop, so I am limited to 14', maybe plus a bit. I do want to be able to walk around the boat and not keep ducking under it when it is on the stands. I like the Sheerwater 14s , but am concerned about it being too small for a 150lbs guy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What about the Auk 14? After I finish my wife's Shearwater 16 I'm thinking of this to replace our 2 13' plastic boats.

btw, I actually did wear paisley at my wedding 32 years ago, not a tux. We got married in a field in Tennessee (pictures upon request) I weighed 130 then, 165 now....and have a lot less hair.

Dan 

Dan, I am very much considering the Auk 14, but I do like the hard chines and the swept ends of the Greenland design of the Sheerwaters. Am I too large for the SW 14?

Thanks

Barry

Barry,

It looks like by the specs you're at the upper limit for the SW14. I'm not sure where you are located, but CLC is bringing one to Groton CT this weekend. I suspect you'll have to try one of for size to be sure.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I am in San Antonio, TX. That is why the advice from this builders forum is so important.

Barry

Barry,

You are in a tough spot.  Put some feelers out and see if you can find any boats in your area that you can try out.  I tend to take the recommended paddler weights pretty seriously and try to stay well within the recommended range.  Last year I tried out a Shearwater 16 when I was in the 185 - 190 country.  It felt like not enough boat to me.  Ended up building a Shearwater 17 which I really like (also shed a good 10 pounds).  If I were you, and could cram it into my shop, I would go for the Shearwater 16 at your weight.  If 14 is the limit then take a serious look at the 14 Foot Great Auk (are you up to a full stripper?)  Also, contact John Harris directly and pick his brain a bit.

Good Luck, Paul

PS:  There was a post from a group of Texas pad

Look at the "TexasKayak Builder's Bash" (thread on this site) in Port Lavaca, TX.  This may be in range for you.

Paul

Paddle your WD12H a while before you make your decision.  Paddle anything else you can get your hands on too.  Then decide what you want the new kayak to do.  If it's just to keep you building, build what pleases your eye.  If you want the new yak to be different, performance wise, from the WD12H, select accordingly.  The WD12H and 14GA are sorta like minivans compared to the SW14's sports car attributes. 

Are you really 140 lbs or 150 lbs?  And do you plan to age gracefully (grow in the middle) or do you hope to fight weight gain by paddling vigorously?  If you think your weight will remain between 140 & 150 lbs, and you would paddle a SW14 with just a snack bar, a water bottle and safety gear, it would certainly carry you.  But weigh your WD12H while you are considering.  If your WD12H is 5 lbs over the spec weight, add 5 lbs to your weight when comparing designs.  If you came in under the spec weight, and you think your next yak will also come in under spec, take a little off your weight.

I second Paul's suggestion to talk to JCH at CLC.  You could also try to talk to the Schade brothers.  All three are knowledgable, know how to think out of the box, have a proven record of trying to fit a person to the right yak given the circumstances, and none of them have been convicted of biting someone asking for their advice.  Good luck paddling and with your decision.

I second the advice to talk with the Schade brothers. When I found the Shearwater 17 too tight for my size 11 shoes, I asked Eric for advice. He suggested his Merganser 17W, which is basically a Shearwater hull, but an inch wider and a bit higher. I sold the Shearwater and built the Merganser as a hybrid that fits me perfectly. -Wes

Excellent advise. Thanks. I will first talk with John at CLC and if necessary one of the Schades. The WD 12 Hybrid is finished as of today. All gear is installed, and the weight comes out at 39 lbs 15 ozs. I was hoping it would be under 39 lbs, but I used brass pad eyes, fore & aft, instead of drilling into the hull for the toggles. I did not do any end pours.

I will splash the boat on Saturday and will post my results.

I do have another kayak, an inflatable AirFusion, which I take along when we are RVing. This kayak is much more performance oriented, and I do like the closer fit in the cockpit, so the next boat that I build, I would like to be more of a racer than cruiser. I will attempt to post some pictures.

Thanks,

Barry

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.