Salt Water Stains on Varnish

I completed my Shearwater 17 this winter and finished it bright.  It really came out beautiful and could not be more pleased.  I was finally able to get into salt water yesterday in Groton Long Point Connecticut and it paddled like a dream.

After a great day of touring the Mystic Habor and surrounding area I went home and hosed everything down.  I like to dry my boats with a chamois cloth to prevent water spots.  That's when I noticed what looked to be damage to the varnished finish.  It appears as though the salt water that beaded and dryed on the deck has "chemical etched" the varnish and left what looks like permanent water spots.

I tried wiping the deck down denatured alchohol and nothing changed.

Has anyone run into this?  Any suggestions on how to repair short of another coat of varnish?  Any way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Salt Water Stains on Varnish

Scott,

I wonder if teh problem is the varnish.  What did you use?  My MC has Z-Spar Captain's varnish and I have had no such problem after many many uses in salt water, including one trip in the Salton Sea which borders on toxic salt water.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Paul

RE: Salt Water Stains on Varnish

Hi Paul,

I used Interlux Schooner varnish.....

Scott

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.