Varnishing Over Paint

Is this something that can be done at the chemistry level? Here is a posted  photo of my Hawk graphics a work in progress. Because the graphic is layered on I would like to clear coat the whole pattern for protection. If the varnish will bond okay I would'nt mind  the amber tinge it would create.

The deck is going to be natural.

Artic Hawk

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Varnishing Over Paint

Is this something that can be done at the chemistry level?

Jeff,

Depends entirely on the brands of paint and varnish. If that was the System 3 2-part LPU paint, for example, you could use their clearcoat (basically the same stuff without pigment). Best bet is to check with your paint manufacturer to see if they make a compatible clearcoat or varnish.

When you get it done be sure to post a picture. That design idea looks as if it has a lot of potential and it'd be interesting to see how it turns out.

Good luck,

Laszlo

You may certainly varnish over paint.  That will help protect your beautiful graphic.  Yes, varnish over paint will turn the paint amber some, and it's definitely not worth doing in any other circumstance than this, but I endorse the idea in this case.

Boat looks great!

Thanks for getting back to me... the graphics are finished .. varnishing will commence...   If you want to add 3 weeks to your build process, scheme up some graphics....  ;^)

I Will paddle this kayak soon,  I Will paddle... I will paddle.

[img]http://inukshuk.godbdigital.com/gallery/albums/Arctic-Hawk-Build/IMGP7849.sized.jpg[/img]

Varnishing went well... work all weekend and I'll take her to Lake Supeiror next week...

That should turn a few heads. Looks really nice.

What's the story behind the graphics?

Laszlo

Tks. The NW Peoples (Haida) totem art form is particularly appealing and timeless.  I procrastinated this build for sometime and thought  how  a totem graphic scheme that represented the whole craft as  animal form  would be appropo. 

It represents a hawk (Arctic Hawk after all).  I originally considered killer whale.   Once  on the water the graphics should be about 90% submerged.  :^) 

Two days to Gitche Gumee

I had no problem with any brand of spar varnish (Petit, Interlux, etc.) over ordinary artist's acrylic (Liquitex, etc.). See the two CLC kayaks about 2/3 down this page:

http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/index.html

Patrick 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.