QUestion for Laszlo

Lazlo

I am planning to go with the graphite epoxy approach to the bottom of my wd 12. As you did on yours.

Two coats of black? How many ounces epoxy for each coat?

Sequence wise, do i do the black epoxy up to the taped line and then varnish down to that point?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

David 

20 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: QUestion for Laszlo

Hey David,

I did the graphite epoxy first, then the varnish.

Don't really remember the batch size. I usually do 3 oz at a shot, so that's probably what I did then, too. I remember it took multiple batches per coat, so they were small.

2 coats.

Don't forget - to avoid lumps, add mixed resin/hardener to the graphite, not the other way around.

Laszlo

Laszlo,

Thanks!

David

are thereany advantages to a graphite epoxy approach.

yes

1. It makes an epoxy bottom coat slippery so that rocks, oyster shells, glass, gravel, etc. do not get a purchase in the surface and so are unable to start a gouge.

2. It's immune to UV (the graphite absorbs the sunlight and protects the epoxy) so no paint or varnish is needed.

3. It's easy to touch up if it actually does get scratched or worn away

4.It looks pretty darn good contrastig against varnished okoume.

Click on the picture to get to the graphite epoxy section of my WD12 build blog.

Laszlo

I especially like reasons 1 and 3. After a month or so on the water I'm already collecting some pretty nice scratches. I broke down and sanded and put on another coat of varnish to hide some of them.

If one was to use graphite epoxy after the fact how much of the varnish/epoxy would need to be sanded off? 

Dan 

All the varnish. Just consider the graphite epoxy as another coat of epoxy and prepare the surface accordingly.

Laszlo

All this talk of graphite makes me wish I had gone that route.  I'm thinking that in a few years when I need a complete refinishing (strip and revarnish) that I'll recoat with graphite or paint the hull. I'm looking at all this beautiful varnish that I'm putting on, and can't help but think that I'm going to cry the first time I run up on a beach. 

~Chris

thank you for the info.

One other qustion can you paint over this. cause this is what i was thinking of doing the cockpit in garphite and painting it white or another color so it wouldnt be so hot in te summer. could this be done.

There's no point in using graphite/epoxy if you're going to paint over it. Inside the cockpit, you might as well just go directly for the paint.

thanks for the response. thats what i thought as soon as i clicked the post message button

Laszlo

Can i leave the masking on until both coats are cured? Will it come off with a clean line

David

Yes & yes. Wait til it cures to just beyond , then apply the second coat. Pull the tape as soon as the 2nd coat is no longer tacky.

how long till i can recoat?? I thought it was 8 hours minimum??

I take it you did not sand between coats?

David 

You can definitely recoat as soon as it's no longer tacky, however long that takes. In fact, that's more of a practical limitation so new glass, applicators, etc. won't stick to it and so you won't get runs. From a chemical point of view you can add a new coat as soon as you're done putting on the first one.

No, I did not sand between coats or after  coats. I ended up with a glossy, deep black orange peel textured surface whichI find just fine for the bottom. The glossy surface is also slipperier.

Laszlo

Thank you!

Wait, 

You said there's no point if you're going to paint over it. Are you implying I can get the same effect on bottom material with just a good high-gloss coat of paint? I was planning on doing the graphite bottom, but a bottom-job sounds less expensive, less drama, and just overall an easier way to go. What am I missing? 

As an aside, since I've seen you asked a number of times, and each time you reply with detailed and great info, your experience with Graphite might make for an excellent "Shop Tip" which would both save you trouble, and make it available to people who don't know of your excellent work and advice. :)

Thanks again.

-- James 

I am not Laszlo,

But i just finished a graphite bottom of my wood duck.

There is no point to paint over the epoxy grahite as the carbon black (graphite ) provides the UV protection without paint or varnish.

You applly this concoction to improve scratch and ding resistance. If you paint over it, the paint will scratch up as easily as if you just varnished or painted without the epoxy/ graphite mix.

As for cost, If you already have some epoxy, you can get all the graphite you need for about 5-10 bucks. A quart of Interlux paint is 35. Cheaper to do the graphite.

As iI understand it.

David 

Ah, ok, that makes more sense.

I'm back on plan to do graphite + rubstrips on the bottom, with a light varnish on the top, as inspired by the work of others on this board. After having exhausted all of my kayak fund once in an emergency, I'm now again 1 paycheck from getting my kayak. I can't wait. =) 

David,

You understand correctly. BTW, the paint may also come off, depending on just how much graphite is in  the mix.

James,

Hang in there, the fun is about to start.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.