Builders' Forum Archives
1 or 2 strips of 'glass t
Posted by Darren on Jan 30, 2008
I am building the Chesapeake 17, and about ready to 'glass and epoxy the seams (so it's finally looking kayak-shaped!).
I am curious as to why two layers of 'glass tape are used in the internal seams? OK, I understand it would be for strength, butI know other plans call for one layer.
How much added strength is gained by the second layer vs the weight gained, and is it really neccessary?
For information, in my case the boat will be paddled in lakes and rivers, unlikely to ever do fully-laden tough sea crossings or surf beach landings, so could I get away with one layer?
Not trying to be cheap, just wondering how neccessary it is.
Thanks, Darren Melbourne, Australia
- Re: 1 or 2 strips of 'gla by Alan O'Neill on Jan 30, 2008
- Re: 1 or 2 strips of 'gla by Laszlo on Jan 31, 2008
- Re: 1 or 2 strips of 'gla by Chris J. on Jan 31, 2008
- Re: 1 or 2 strips of 'gla by LeeG on Feb 2, 2008
- Re: 1 or 2 strips of 'gla by Darren on Feb 3, 2008
- Re: 1 or 2 strips of 'gla by LeeG on Feb 4, 2008