Builders' Forum Archives
Fast sea kayak
Posted by skiffrace on Nov 28, 2007
I have finished AT 17 and overall am quite happy with it's performance. Its a solid, spacious, floatable and stable boat perfect for extended touring and rough weather. One thing I found missing is ... speed. I tend to use the AT mostly for workouts where the top speed that can be sustained over 8-12 miles is ~5.5-6 MPH. I guess this is the hull speed, and trying go faster produces little extra speed with monumental increase in effort.
I would like a boat that will be similar to AT as far as overall buoyancy, stability, wave handling etc. but faster.
The top contenders as of now are: 1. CLC West River 18 2. Pygmy Osprey HP 3. Guillemot S&G Night Heron
I wonder if someone had experience building and especially paddling these boats and what are your impressions. -Tom
- Re: Fast sea kayak by George K on Nov 28, 2007
- Re: Fast sea kayak by Jim E on Nov 29, 2007
- Kayak workouts by Laszlo on Nov 29, 2007
- Night Heron by LeeG on Nov 29, 2007
- Re: Fast sea kayak by Charlie on Dec 1, 2007